Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The athlete

    "But you eat unhealthy"
     "But you don't always go the gym.."
      "But you work at a fast food store!"

Uhm. So? 

Yesterday was the first day of practice for rugby - and the first thing my roommate, Sarah , said was - "you drink too much soda , fat ass" (I may have shortened it a bit, but you get the idea.)

Sarah hasn't known me long - just over a couple months , and she has this tendency to make a ton of assumptions based on who she thinks I am. (As do a lot of my other roommates friends - they assume because they know her, they know me.)

Some times her assumptions are accurate, and sometimes they are just ignorant but, by any means, they are uncalled for, and unasked for. 

I love my roommate, despite our disagreements in aspects such as these - she and I get along great .

Anyways - moral of the story, I blew her away.
Everyone is built differently. Different talents, different traits, different body shapes.

I'm good at sports. I'm fast. I'm competitive as all get out. I have muscles on accident.  And I, TJ, am an ATHLETE.

Despite what I eat, where I work, and what I do in my free time: throw me on a field, give me a team and you've got yourself someone who will play to win every time. 

How many times in a day do you look at someone and judge who they are, and what they can or cannot do in life?

I'll be honest. I do it daily .
I look at people walking into certain buildings on campus and all I can think is "there's no way". (A girl who is a little heavier walking Into the dance building, a cheerleader walking into the neuroscience building, ect)

I know girls on my team that at a first glance no one would EVER guess they had a beast mode-
But I've witnessed it.

So why do we judge so quickly?

Why is it okay for us to be surprised that someone is capable of doing something because they LOOK like they shouldn't be?!
That heavier set girl is one of the best contemporary dancers I've ever witnessed , that cheerleader happens to be working a 4.0 Gpa for her full ride scholarship (that was completely based on academics) and my team mates, all of my teamates, kick ass.

One of the most dangerous things we can do, especially in college, is judge. 

We could be missing out.

Food for thought. #rantoftheday 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment